Is my property suitable for a granny flat and can it be rented out?

Granny flats, sometimes referred to as a “secondary dwelling” are often advertised by real estate agents as able to be leased separately to the main house and an opportunity for additional rental income. However, there are a number of restrictions that investors should be aware of.

In most Councils, including Brisbane City Council, the use of a secondary dwelling is limited to being used by members of the same “household”. Each Council has their own specific definition of what constitutes a “household”, however, a common requirement is that a household involves either a family, or that residents share essentials such as food.

What this means is that unless the appropriate town planning approvals have been obtained, a granny flat cannot be leased separately to the main house.

If you do wish to build a granny flat, there are a range of other rules that relate to granny flats such as how big they can, where they must be located on a property and building design requirements.

In some circumstances, a granny flat may be “self assessable” and not require any town planning approval where it complies with the relevant rules, but in some circumstances a granny flat will require council approval.

Get the right information with SiteFinder

A SiteFinder Site Report gives you a concise summary of the property information you need in one place, including the town planning rules that apply to granny flats on a particular property.

If you do want to build a secondary dwelling to sell or lease separately, a Site Report will also provide you with all of the rules and requirements that relate to a Dual Occupancy or subdivision too.

SiteFinder’s Reverse Search algorithm can also help you find properties suitable for granny flats, dual occupancies or subdivision.